GEO Great Lakes is part of the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS). GEOSS is a coordinating and integrating network of observing and information systems. The GEO GL team supports data collaboration efforts between the United States and Canada in the Great Lakes Region.
Representatives from Environment Canada, US EPA, USGS and others, work to make bi-national datasets discoverable (easy to find), transparent (easy to understand) and interoperable (easy to use). These needs are met through application of internationally accepted standards that ensure that the data are accurate, consistent and verified.
GEO Great Lakes helps fulfill public policy and strategic initiatives that advance data exchange:
- Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement
- International Joint Commission's Adaptive Management Task Team and follow-ups to the Upper Great Lakes Study
- Coordinating Committe on Great Lakes Basic Hydraulic and Hydrologic Data
- Great Lakes Observing System
- Great Lakes Trilateral Commission
- National Ocean Policy and the Regional Ocean Partnership
- ...and many more
How We Can Support Your Efforts
Provide consistent methods for users to access data. Users will be able to find the data they need and feed it into appropriate display or analytical tools through data management tools linking resources and data providers.
Support and Guidance
Provide data management support including: programming to bring your data to the portal, training, assistance with gathering metadata to meet international standards, or guidance in making your data accessible to the end-user community. We may also be able to provide data storage to make sure that resources are not lost when projects or funding end.
Provide connections and collaboration with other agencies and people where you can share your projects or needs, helping you get your information out to the right people at the right time.
Levels of Metadata & Data Support
- Small Amount of records added and maintained by GEO Great Lakes
- Small amount of records but user/agency has editor status in GeoNetwork
- Large amount of data maintained by user/agency but harvested by GEO Great Lakes (may require login access to your data)